All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a savvy book for parents, grandparents, teachers, and anyone who shares life with a person with Down syndrome! It's full of uplifting advice and best practices gleaned from the author's personal and professional experiences raising a son, w an adult, and teaching educators and parents how to teach children with Down syndrome to read. The book offers inspired takes on a host of important issues, from learning to recognise and celebrate your child's personality and gifts to finding a great teacher for him, and from insisting your child pull his own weight to giving your child his space as an adult. The author -- equal parts mentor, humorist, enthusiast, and realist -- takes readers by the hand and walks them through the various life stages, experiences, and people they will encounter with their child including: getting to kw and fall in love with your child, interacting with medical professionals, literacy, discipline, school, transitioning, and independence. Chapters are short, a plus for busy parents, and can be read individually or sequentially. Throughout, many characters -- the author's son, friends, and students -- appear, serving as anecdotal evidence in support of the author's points and adding to the storytelling effect. As an added bonus, the book includes a Foreword by Martha Beck, parent of a child with Down syndrome and author of the New York Times best-seller, Expecting Adam. Turn to this upbeat book for credible, realistic advice and for a dose of bibliotherapy when you need validation and perspective.
- Author BiographyNatalie Hale is the mother of an adult son with Down syndrome. A national speaker on the topic of teaching reading to learners with Down syndrome for the last 24 years, she founded Special Reads for Special Needs in 2000. She lives in Los Angeles and continues to travel, speak, and teach across the United States and across borders. Martha Beck is a life coach and bestselling memoir and self-help author. Her books include Expecting Adam, Finding Your Own North Star, Steering By Starlight, and Finding Your Way in a Wild New World. Readers can also find her unique blend of wit and wisdom every month in O, The Oprah Magazine. Martha lives on her ranch in California with her tribe of horses, wild turkeys, bears, mountain lions, bobcats, gophers, and the occasional human.
- Author(s)Natalie Hale
- PublisherWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication26/01/2012
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationBethesda, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Weight356 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byMartha Beck
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.