All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $43.67Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
About this product
- DescriptionDrang nach Osten is a phrase well-kwn in the Slavic, French and Anglo-Saxon world. But the Germans, who are supposed to have originated the term to express their drive to subjugate the Slavs, do t use it. Indeed, they vigorously deunce the concept as a hostile fabrication of their enemies. How, and where, did this household expression originate? By what means, and to what areas, did it spread? Using library resources in America, London, Paris, Marburg, Helsinki and Vienna, Henry Cord Meyer traces the development of the slogan from a corner of ethnic conflict in old imperial Russia to its world-wide use today. Finally, he addresses the strange German reluctance to come to grips psychologically with these intellectual circumstances. More than just an aspect of German-Slav interaction, this book is also a rare and painstaking inquiry into the socio-political process by which a local catchword is transformed into a broadly-held historical concept.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Henry Cord Meyer, born at Chicago USA, has been professionally active since 1939. He holds degrees from the universities of Colorado (1935), Iowa (1937), and Yale (1941) and several honorary doctorates. During World War II he was a research analyst at the Office of Strategic Services. He has been professor of history at several American colleges and universities, most recently at the University of California, Irvine. His major works include Mitteleuropa in German Thought and Action, 1915-1945 (The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff, 1955; The Long Generation: Germany from Empire to Ruin, 1913-1945 (New York: Harper & Row, 1973); and Airshipmen, Businessmen, and Politics, 1890-1940 (Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991).
- Author(s)Henry Cord Meyer
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/05/1996
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published1996
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight220 g
- Width210 mm
- Height140 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.