All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a memoir of traditions lost and found, a flooded city and the healing power of food. An Egyptian Jewish Under the Tuscan Sun, Dream Homes chronicles Joyce Zonana's quest to find a sense of home among people, foods, and places as far from her native Cairo as Oklahoma and Katrina-stricken New Orleans. After the Egyptian-Israeli war of 1948, newlyweds Felix and Nellie Zonana fled Cairo with their infant daughter Joyce, ending up in Brooklyn. Growing up, Joyce swiftly realises that her Jewish family and their Egyptian culture are neither typically American r typically American-Jewish; they eat kobeba instead of kugel, and speak French instead of Yiddish. Struggling with her feelings of isolation from other Americans and frustrated by never getting full access to the Egyptian-Jewish culture, Zonana strikes out on a life-long journey to find her place in the world. She meets her extended family living in Colombia and Brazil and travels to Cairo to get a glimpse of her parents' past. After she and her mother survive the devastation of Katrina, Zonana comes to see that 'home' is t a location, but a spiritual state of mind. Zonana's heritage and quest are also evoked in numerous photos and family recipes.
- Author BiographyBorn in Cairo, Joyce Zonana earned her PhD in English at the University of Pennsylvania and is currently Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies at the Borough of Manhattan Community College. Before coming to BMCC, she taught for 15 years at the University of New Orleans, where she was also Director of Women's Studies.
- Author(s)Joyce Zonana
- PublisherFeminist Press at The City University of New York
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFeminist Press at The City University of New York
- Content Noteblack & white photographs
- Weight307 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.