All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the summer of 1860, more than fifty years after the United States legally abolished the international slave trade, 110 men, women, and children from Benin and Nigeria were brought ashore in Alabama under cover of night. They were the last recorded group of Africans deported to the United States as slaves. Timothy Meaher, an established Mobile businessman, sent the slave ship, the Clotilda , to Africa, on a bet that he could bring a shipful of niggers right into Mobile Bay under the officers' ses. He won the bet. This book reconstructs the lives of the people in West Africa, recounts their capture and passage in the slave pen in Ouidah, and describes their experience of slavery alongside American-born enslaved men and women. After emancipation, the group reunited from various plantations, bought land, and founded their own settlement, kwn as African Town. They ruled it according to customary African laws, spoke their own regional language and, when giving interviews, insisted that writers use their African names so that their families would kw that they were still alive. The last survivor of the Clotilda died in 1935, but African Town is still home to a community of Clotilda descendants.
- Author BiographySylviane A.Diouf is an independent scholar and a former Senegalese diplomat who directs the Schomburg-Mellon Humanities Institute, edits an African-American migration web site, and has appeared in several PBS documentaries.
- PrizesWinner of American Historical Association Wesley-Logan Prize 2007.
- Author(s)Sylvaine A. Diouf
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication12/02/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note16 pp halftone plates
- Weight525 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.20Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.