All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b><i>NPR</i> Best Books of 2013 </b><b><i>BookPage</i> Best Books of 2013</b><b><i>Library Journal</i> Best Books of 2013: Memoir</b><b><i>Flavorwire </i>10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2013</b><b>A vivid, funny, and poignant memoir that celebrates the distinct lure of the camaraderie and community one finds drinking in bars.</b> Rosie Schaap has always loved bars: the wood and brass and jukeboxes, the kwing bartenders, and especially the sometimes surprising but always comforting company of regulars. Starting with her misspent youth in the bar car of a regional railroad, where at fifteen she told commuters fortunes in exchange for beer, and continuing today as she slings cocktails at a neighborhood joint in Brooklyn, Schaap has learned her way around both sides of a bar and come to realize how powerful the fellowship among regular patrons can be. In <i>Drinking with Men</i>, Schaap shares her unending quest for the perfect local haunt, which takes her from a dive outside Los Angeles to a Dublin pub full of poets, and from small-town New England taverns to a character-filled bar in Manhattan s TriBeCa. Drinking alongside artists and expats, ironworkers and soccer fanatics, she finds these places offer a safe haven, a respite, and a place to feel most like herself. In rich, colorful prose, Schaap brings to life these seedy, warm, and wonderful rooms. <i>Drinking with Men </i>is a love letter to the bars, pubs, and taverns that have been Schaap s refuge, and a celebration of the uniquely civilizing source of community that is bar culture at its best.
- Author BiographyRosie Schaap has been a bartender, a fortuneteller, a librarian at a paranormal society, an English teacher, an editor, a preacher, a community organizer, and a manager of homeless shelters. A contributor to <i>This American Life </i>and npr.org, she writes the Drink column for <i>The New York Times Magazine</i>. She was born in New York City and still lives there.
- Author(s)Rosie Schaap
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication07/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Weight249 g
- Width132 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $21.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.