All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMeet Chris Stewart, the eternal optimist. At age 17 Chris retired as the drummer of Genesis and launched a career as a sheep shearer and travel writer. He has regrets about this. Had he become a big-time rock star he might never have moved with his wife Ana to a remote mountain farm in Andalucia. Nor forged the friendship of a lifetime with his resourceful peasant neighbour Domingo...t watched his baby daughter Chloe grow and thrive there...r written this book. Fate does sometimes seem to kw what it's up to. Driving Over Lemons is that rare thing: a funny, insightful book that charms you from the first page to the last...and one that makes running a peasant farm in Spain seem like a distinctly good move. Chris transports us to Las Alpujarras, an oddball region south of Granada, and into a series of misadventures with an engaging mix of peasant farmers and shepherds, New Age travellers and ex-pats. The hero of the piece, however, is the farm that he and Ana bought, El Valero - a patch of mountain studded with olive, almond and lemon groves, sited on the wrong side of a river, with access road, water supply or electricity. Could life offer much better than that?
- Author BiographyChris Stewart prepared for life on a mountain farm in Spain with jobs of doubtful relevance. After leaving Genesis (he drummed on the first album), he joined a circus, learnt how to shear sheep, crewed a yacht in Greece, went to China for the Rough Guides, gained a pilot's license in Los Angeles, and completed a course in French cking. Since writing Driving Over Lemons, Chris, Ana and their daughter Chloe continue to live on their farm, with their numerous dogs, cats, chickens, sheep and one misanthropic parrot.
- Author(s)Chris Stewart
- PublisherSort of Books
- Date of Publication01/06/1999
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSort of Books
- Out-of-print date05/05/2009
- Content Notemap
- Weight273 g
- Width131 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Most relevant reviews
- ptcruizer228 Sep, 2017by
Great reading and the day to day living of the author and his family is great that I have ordered his next 2 books.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.67Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.