All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionDumile Feni was one of Africa's greatest 20th century artists - painter, sculptor, poet, and nascent filmmaker too. He left South Africa in his mid-twenties, already successful as an artist, and lived in exile in London and New York, exhibiting his paintings and sculptures widely, in both solo and group exhibitions. Dumile travelled and exhibited in China, Nigeria, the US and the UK. His work often conveyed human emotion - suffering and pain, including people contorted with anguish, as well as great tenderness and dignity. His death in exile was a great loss to African art and ill-timed, as he never returned to South Africa to experience its freedom. This lavishly illustrated, full-colour book is the most comprehensive collection of Dumile's work to date. It pays tribute to the retrospective exhibition run by the Johannesburg Art Gallery, from January to April 2005, which toured South Africa and stems from years of thorough research. It hours the artist's work, sketches, paintings and sculptures, and provides intimate, quirky photographs of Dumile himself, essays about him by great contemporary thinkers in the art world, poetry about him and poetry by him. The work pays tribute to five periods of his life: Before Exile; the London Period, which represents a major turning point in his career; the USA Period, highlighting further development of his technique, including his sculpture; the Johannesburg Art Gallery Collection, which consists of over 100 of Dumile's drawings and two bronze sculptures; and the Erotica period, which conveys his intense exploration of anatomy and sexuality.
- Author BiographyPrince Mbusi Dube is the education curator at the Johannesburg Art Gallery and also the curator of the Dumile Feni Retrospective.
- PublisherWits University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintWits University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight1630 g
- Width240 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byPrince Mbusi Dube
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.