Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.99Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by sunrisebookshop
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur foremost military historian offers us a compelling and at times terrifying account of what it means to be a contemporary soldier. In this remarkable book, Richard Holmes draws on the testimonies of the 700 soldiers of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment to capture in vivid detail the average soldier's day-to-day experience of war. Embroiled in a conflict often too dangerous for reporters to cover, these soldiers - most of them young, many without any previous experience of warfare - have kept ongoing records of the drudgery, anxiety and horror involved in fighting a violent and increasingly unpopular war against a ruthless and resourceful enemy. All have risked their lives, and many have died. Others have been recognised and awarded for their courage, resourcefulness and gallantry - Private Johnson Beharry recently became the first man to be awarded the Victoria Cross in twenty-three years. With these intimate and revealing glimpses of life in the modern army, Richard Holmes paints a sweeping portrait of a new generation of soldiers - grunts, gallants and heroes - and the sacrifices their decision to fight for their country entails.
- Author BiographyCelebrated military historian and television presenter Richard Holmes is famous for his BBC series 'Rebels and Redcoats: The American Revolutionary War'; 'Wellington: The Iron Duke'; 'Battlefields'; 'War Walks' and 'The Western Front'. He is the author of many bestselling and widely acclaimed books including 'Firing Line', 'The Western Front', 'Redcoat', 'Tommy' and 'Sahib'. He is general editor of the definitive 'Oxford Companion to Military History'. He taught military history at Sandhurst for many years and is now Professor of Military and Security Studies at Cranfield University and the Royal Military College of Science. His biography of the Duke of Marlborough is published by HarperCollins in 2008. He lives near Winchester in Hampshire.
- Author(s)Richard Holmes
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication05/02/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps, ports. (some col.)
- Weight330 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,B-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.