All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPolicymakers saw European Community membership as a way for Spain to secure democracy and promote ecomic development throughout the country. Nevertheless, regional ecomic disparities still persist in Spain almost twenty years after it entered the Community, despite significant European allocation of funds to remedy underdevelopment. How did the policies of the European Union impact Spain? What lessons can new EU members learn from Spain's experience within the European Union? Using rich empirical evidence and an invative comparative analysis, this book examines the regional experiences of Galicia and the Valencian Community in Spain. The political dynamics and persistence of clientelism, which affect policymaking and policy implementation within each region, are particularly considered. These cases provide new insight to explain why regional ecomic differences persist in Spain despite efforts to alleviate them. Historically grounded and detailed, this study analyzes the process of accession and the igred long-term ramifications of accession negotiations and treaties, it focuses on the often-overlooked contradiction between European regulations and regional development policies, and questions whether EU membership has been as beneficial as policymakers thought it would be.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Carolyn M. Dudek received her undergraduate degree at Canisius College and her Masters of Arts and Doctorate at the University of Pittsburgh. She was the recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship to Spain and was a Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute's Robert Schuman Centre. Currently an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Hofstra University, she also serves as director of its European Studies Program.
- Author(s)Carolyn M. Dudek
- PublisherEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleRegionalisme & Federalisme/Regionalism & Federalism
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Content Notetables and graphs
- Weight340 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.