Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage is largely comprised of face-to-face spoken interaction; however, the method, description and theory of traditional historical accounts of English have been largely based on scholarly and literary writings. Using the Corpus of English Dialogues 1560-1760, in this book Culpeper and Kyto offer a unique account of the linguistic features in several speech-related written genres, comprising trial proceedings, witness depositions, plays, fiction and didactic works. The volume is the first to provide invative analyses of several neglected written genres, demonstrating how they might be researched, and highlighting the theories which are needed to underpin this research. Through this, the authors are able to create a fascinating insight into what spoken interaction in Early Modern English might have been like, providing an alternative perspective to that often presented in traditional historical accounts of English.
- Author BiographyJonathan Culpeper is a Senior Lecturer at Lancaster University. His previous publications include History of English, 2nd edition (2005) and Language and Characterisation: People in Plays and Other Texts (2001). He was also co-editor for Cognitive Stylistics: Language and Cognition in Text Analysis (2002) and Exploring the Language of Drama: From Text to Context (1998). Merja Kyto is Professor of English Language at Uppsala University. She was the co-editor for Nineteenth-Century English: Stability and Change (2006) and A Reader in Early Modern English (1998) and is co-editor of the ICAME Journal and Studia Neophilologica. She has also participated in the compilation of historical corpora including the Helsinki Corpus of English Texts.
- Author(s)Jonathan Culpeper,Merja Kyto
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/01/2014
- Series TitleStudies in English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus. 70 tables
- Weight670 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.