All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe early Romans were only one of a number of peoples that inhabited Iron Age central Italy. From the 8th to the 3rd century BC, the Romans undertook territorial expansion, and conflict with neighbouring tribes and cultures resulted in open war, most tably with the Samnites. Alliances were created, too, but the rise of Rome was unstoppable. This title covers the equipment, weaponry and dress of the early Romans, from the traditional foundation in 753 BC to the third century BC, where the dominance of Rome was beyond challenge. It also deals with developments in warfare, covering the early cavalry, the pre-Hoplite Army, the Hoplite Army and the Manipular Army. Etruscan, Latin, and Samnite warfare is also discussed.
- Author BiographyNicholas Sekunda was born in 1953. After studying Ancient History and Archaeology at Manchester University, he went on to take his Ph.D. in 1981. He has taken part in archaeological excavations in Poland, Iran and Greece, participated in a research project on ancient Persian warfare for the British institute of Persian Studies. He has published numerous books and academic articles, and is currently teaching at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology in Torun, Poland. Simon Northwood is a former lecturer at Manchester University in the Department of History. He has a particularly passionate interest in the Ancient world. This is his first title for Osprey Publishing.
- Author(s)Nick Sekunda
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/07/1995
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleMen-at-Arms
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo.283
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Noteb&w illustrations
- Weight164 g
- Width185 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Illustrator(s)Richard Hook
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $21.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.