Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.32
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $22.58
- AU $43.27Trending at AU $48.83
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.68
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.83
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.24
About this product
- DescriptionWhile Washington, London and Canberra fiddle, the planet burns. It has become painfully clear that the big democracies won't take the hard decisions to halt climate change. Climate scientists w expect the worst, and they're considering a response which sounds like science fiction: climate engineering. This means large-scale manipulation of the Earth's climate using grand techlogical interventions, like spraying sulphur compounds into the upper atmosphere to reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the planet, or transforming the chemistry of the world's oceans so they soak up more carbon. The potential risks are ermous: disrupting the food chain, damaging the ozone layer, the loss of monsoon rains in Asia - the list goes on. It is messing with nature on a scale we've never before seen, and it's attracting a flood of interest from scientists, venture capitalists and oil companies. We have reached the end of the epoch of climate stability that allowed human civilisation to flourish, and the end of the era of 'progress'. Like an angry beast woken from a long slumber, climate instability is dangerous and resists efforts to control it. In his characteristically lucid and passionate style, Clive Hamilton spells out the implications for all of us.
- Author BiographyClive Hamilton is the author of the bestsellers Requiem for a Species, Affluenza and Growth Fetish.
- Author(s)Clive Hamilton
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication27/02/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width138 mm
- Height208 mm
- Interest AgeFrom
Most relevant reviews
- timshel200006 Jul, 2017by
The politics behind climate change
An insight into the way the public is manipulated and deceived by the ignorance of climate change and vested interests of the Murdoch press.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.