Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionEarthly Treasures maps the presence, position and use in the narrative of a variety of material objects in Marguerite de Navarre's Heptameron . There is a wide selection of objects, ranging from tapestries with scripture passages woven into the borders, fine arts paintings, chalices incised with proverbs, emblems, table linens, copies of Bibles or manuscripts, clothing, masks, stage props, jewelry, furniture and foodstuffs. Although the presence of such material objects seems paradoxical, given the scriptural mandate to disregard things of this world, and to store up treasure , rather, in heaven, Marguerite found license to use such objects both in the Bible and in the daily life-oriented and artifact-studded sermons and writings collected in the Table Talk of Martin Luther .
- Author BiographyCatharine Randall teaches French language, literature and culture, as well as comparative literature, at Fordham University. She is the author of 5 books and some 50 articles and chapters in books, (and another book manuscript currently under consideration by Columbia University Press on the Huguenots and Camisards in the 17th and 18th centuries). Her professional career has been oriented around exploring the constraints that varieties of Protestantism imposed on writers of particular confessions (such as Calvinism or Lutheranism) as well as the permissions for artistic expression that -- somewhat surprisingly -- may be discerned in those theological systems.
- Author(s)Catharine Randall
- PublisherPurdue University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitlePurdue Studies in Romance Literatures
- Place of PublicationWest Lafayette
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPurdue University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width164 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.