Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionThe book consists of articles from East European Politics and Societies, a journal published in the United States that first appeared in 1987. This selection is composed of papers written by the journal's founders and early authors, among them Zygmunt Bauman, Tony Judt, Katherine Verdery, Vladimir Tismaneanu, Elemer Hankiss, Vesna Pusic, Maria Todorova. The first section Before the Change consists of texts written in the late 1980s; its authors tried to identify the cracks that would undermine or reform the existing system. In the second part of the book Alternative Futures contributors sketched the directions of the changes as they were just getting underway. The authors hoped that politics, ecomics, and societies were w free to reinvent themselves. The texts in the third section, Legacies of the Past, written before, during, and after the time of most drastic changes, show how the shadows cast by the histories of individual nations and the region as a whole continued to burden political strategies as well as daily lives.
- Author BiographyIrena Grudzinska Gross is co-editor in chief of East European Politics and Societies - and Cultures and teaches at the Department of Slavic Literatures at Princeton University (USA). She is Professor at the Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Science. Andrzej W. Tymowski is a member of the editorial board of East European Politics and Societies - and Cultures. He is Director of International Programs at the American Council of Learned Societies and assistant professor in the Faculty of Artes Liberales at the University of Warsaw.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication27/03/2014
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleEastern European Culture, Politics and Societies
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight490 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byAndrzej Tymowski,Irena Grudzinska-Gross
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.