All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionEccentrics of Comedy examines the lives and careers of twelve entertainers whose comedic styles were distinctly eccentric: Milton Berle, Ed Brendel, Bobby Clark, Phyllis Diller, the Duncan Sisters, Edward Everett Horton, Alice Howell, Franklin Pangborn, Old Mother Riley, Margaret Rutherford, Colonel Lemuel Q. Stoopnagle, and Ernest Thesiger. For the majority of these performers, Eccentrics of Comedy provides the first serious, detailed discussion of their work. The figures are from all areas of popular entertainment. Milton Berle is Mr. Television. The Duncan Sisters and Bobby Clark were headliners in vaudeville and musical comedy. Alice Howell was a silent screen comedienne. Colonel Lemuel Q. Stoopnagle was a familiar figure on radio in the 1930s. Edward Everett Horton, Franklin Pangborn, Old Mother Riley, Margaret Rutherford, and Ernest Thesiger are primarily kwn for their work on screen. The comedic styles vary widely, but Slide highlights similarities between the entertainers. Slide writes with enthusiasm and affection for his subjects. Both Milton Berle and Phyllis Diller offered him first-hand accounts of their careers, and in many cases he quotes from other film celebrities who worked with the comedians. Slide offers a thorough understanding of the media in which his subjects worked and brings their acts to life.
- Author BiographyEccentrics of Comedy is latest in a long line of informative and entertaining books by Anthony Slide, which include Early American Cinema, The Films of D.W. Griffith, Nitrate Won't Wait: A History f Film Preservation in the United States, The Encyclopedia of Vaudeville, Lois Weber: The Director who Lost Her Way in History, and The New Historical Dictionary of the American Film Industry. Slide is also the Series Editor for Scarecrow Press' critically acclaimed Filmmaker's Series.
- Author(s)Anthony Slide
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication13/11/1998
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note12 b/w photographs
- Weight399 g
- Width143 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.