All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis book, which is aimed at researchers in specialised varieties of English, provides an illustration of how linguists can use terms, i.e. the expression of concepts in specialised fields, as entry points to explore any specialised domain, whether academic or professional, and to get acquainted with its history, its culture, and the evolution of the ideas that have nurtured it. Choosing the field of ecomics as an example, the author approaches terms from a diachronic, descriptive and contextual perspective, focusing on neonyms, metaphorical, ambiguous or indeterminate terms, as well as interface terms likely to underscore the evolving character of the domain. The analysis points out the role of terms as milestones highlighting key discoveries that have shaped scientific fields; terms can also be considered as barometers of the evolution of kwledge in a specific field and of a changing social environment. Whoever thought terms were only interesting for their definitions or for translation purposes will doubt be surprised at the insights that can be gained from considering them from a different angle and for other purposes.
- Author BiographyCatherine Resche is a full-time Professor of English for economics at Pantheon-Assas-Paris 2 University. A member of CELTA (Centre de Linguistique theorique et appliquee) at the Sorbonne (Paris IV), she heads the terminology and specialised discourse research group in applied linguistics. She has authored numerous articles and book chapters on terminology, neology, metaphor and genre and discourse analysis.
- Author(s)Catherine Resche
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication11/09/2013
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number176
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight480 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.