Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionBryson's Management of the Estate (Oikomikos Logos) offers advice on the key private concerns of the Roman elite: getting rich, managing slaves, love and marriage, and bringing up children. This estate owner is a farmer and a merchant, making his money through good and effective business. His wife is co-owner of the estate and their love promotes material prosperity. Their child needs twenty-four hour supervision in 'all his affairs'. Bryson's book was almost certainly written in the mid-first century AD, but survives mainly in Arabic. It had a profound effect on Islamic thinking on the ecomy and on marriage, but is virtually unkwn to classicists. This new edition of the text together with the first English translation will appeal to Roman social and ecomic historians, students of imperial Greek literature and all those interested in the development of Greco-Roman thought in the Islamic empire of the Middle Ages.
- Author BiographySimon Swain is Chair of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Warwick. He is the author of a number of well-known studies of the Greek literature of the Roman period and is co-editor (with Jas Elsner and Stephen Harrison) of Severan Culture (Cambridge, 2007).
- Author(s)Simon Swain
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight780 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.