All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionA dramatic biography of the extraordinary Spanish industrialist and entrepreneur Eduardo Barreiros Born in an impoverished region of Galicia, possessed of little education and less money, Eduardo Barreiros (1919--1992) rose to become an immensely successful entrepreneur and one of Spain's most prominent industrialists. In this engaging biography, the first on a Spanish entrepreneur in English, Hugh Thomas recounts Barreiros's origins as an auto mechanic, his success in the motor industry, his tragic alliance with the Chrysler Corporation, and his little-kwn role as a motor industry founder in 1980s Cuba. Drawing on an unrivaled kwledge of Spanish history, Lord Thomas also brings to light Barreiros's critical role in the modernization of the Spanish ecomy in the post--Civil War years. The book offers a detailed portrait of Don Eduardo's personality, character, and numerous entrepreneurial endeavors, as well as a full account of the difficulties the Franco-era government threw in the path of his capitalist activities. The relationship between Barreiros and the Chrysler Corporation is also described, along with the failed Dodge Dart project that ultimately cost Barreiros his business. Finally, the book recounts Don Eduardo's late-in-life efforts to help establish a motor industry in Castro's Cuba--a paradoxical conclusion for a great capitalist.
- Author BiographyHugh Thomas is a member of the House of Lords in London and the author of numerous books on the history of the Spanish world, including most recently Beaumarchais in Seville: An Intermezzo, published by Yale University Press. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Hugh Thomas
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/03/2009
- SubjectBiography: Business
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note74 illustrations and 6 maps in galleries
- Weight780 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.