All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVelo-cardio-facial-syndrome, also kwn as 22q11.2 deletion syndrome and DiGeorge syndrome, is relatively new - the genetic test to determine if a child has it has only been available since 1994. Educating Children with Velo-Cardio Facial Syndrome (also Kwn as 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome and DiGeorge Syndrome), Second Edition, effectively blends the thoughtful research that has transpired within the past 15 years with practical and current educational strategies to better meet the needs of children with VCFS and other developmental disabilities. To first address the scientific information that is needed to understand the syndrome and the implications of current research, expert contributors present the results of studies involving brain abrmalities, language/learning profiles and psychiatric/behavioral difficulties. These valuable chapters are written in a reader-friendly manner to help parents, professionals, and teachers gain useful and necessary comprehension of the unique characteristics of the VCFS population. The second part of the book is a practical guide to educating a child with VCFS from birth through adulthood.Divided into the various stages of development from preschool to adulthood, it includes information regarding the necessary tests special education teams should run, typical difficulties associated with learning, changes that occur with ability as the child matures (drop in IQ scores and increased learning challenges), as well as behavioral problems in the school setting. Each section includes discussions of the learning challenges and accommodations that can be used at school and at home during that stage of maturity. The authors also present meaningful advice on issues such as friendships, private vs. public school placement, job training, and other pertinent decisions that affect the VCFS child's everyday life. For the second edition, the author has added fresh and updated content.A partial list of new material includes: The most recent research and studies to make the text as up-to-date as possible Expanded and enhanced coverage of bullying and the social/emotional aspects of VCFS More information on common core standards and standardized testing for children with disabilities Homeschooling and other placement alternatives Executive functioning deficits and their impact in the classroom Dealing with problem behaviors Issues related to anxiety and school success Cognitive remediation and new treatment strategies New math and reading remediation techniques Expanded section on the very young child With its expanded content, as well as contributions from some of the most highly regarded experts in the field, Educating Children with Velo-Cardio Facial Syndrome (also Kwn as 22q11. 2 Deletion Syndrome and DiGeorge Syndrome), Second Edition is an essential resource for teachers, parents, physicians, and therapists of children with velo-cardio-facial-syndrome.
- Author BiographyDonna Cutler-Landsman, M.S. Donna Cutler-Landsman, M.S., is an educator who has spent thirty years in the classroom teaching children in grades five through eight, and as an advisor to the gifted and talented program in the Middleton Cross Plains Area School District in Wisconsin. In addition, she has served as a cooperating teacher with the School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison for fifteen years and as an educational consultant for issues related to the special education needs of children with velo-cardio-facial syndrome. She is a past president of the VCFS Educational Foundation and a popular speaker on issues related to VCFS and education throughout the United States and abroad.
- Author(s)Donna Cutler-Landsman
- PublisherPlural Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication26/10/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPlural Publishing Inc
- Content Noteb/w illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $32.43Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.