All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionThis book has received the AESA (American Educational Studies Association) Critics Choice Award 2013. There is a widespread, but mainly untenable, assumption that education in Western societies (and elsewhere) intuitively and horizontally aids the democratic development of people. An argument could be made that in contemporary liberal democracies, education was never designed for the well-being of societies. Instead of the full inclusion of everyone in educational development, it becomes dominated by those with a vested interest in the role of the liberal state as a mediating agent that, ultimately, assures the supremacy of the capitalism and neoliberalism. This book extends beyond a theoretical analysis of democratic education, seeking to tap into the substantial experiences, perspectives and research of a wide range of leading scholars from diverse vantage points, who bring themselves and their work into the debate connecting democracy and education, which elucidates the reference to counter-hegemonic possibilities in the title.
- Author BiographyAli A. Abdi is Professor of Development Education and Co-Director, Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Research (CGCER) in the Department of Educational Policy Studies at the University of Alberta. Paul R. Carr is Associate Professor of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Studies at Lakehead University (Orillia), and Co-Director of the Global Doing Democracy Research Project.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/12/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Democracy and Political Literarcy
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight540 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byAli A. Abdi,Paul R. Carr
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.