All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough recent scholarship has examined gender issues in Judaism with regard to texts, rituals, and the rabbinate, there has been full-length examination of the education of Jewish children in day schools. Drawing on studies in education, social science, and psychology, as well as personal interviews, the authors show how traditional (mainly Orthodox) day school education continues to re-inscribe gender inequities and socialize students into unhealthy gender identities and relationships. They address pedagogy, school practices, curricula, and textbooks, as along with single-sex versus coed schooling, dress codes, sex education, Jewish rituals, and gender hierarchies in educational leadership. Drawing a stark picture of the many ways both girls and boys are molded into gender identities, the authors offer concrete resources and suggestions for transforming educational practice.
- Author BiographyCHAYA ROSENFELD GORSETMAN is clinical associate professor of education, Stern College for Women, Yeshiva University. ELANA MARYLES SZTOKMAN is executive director of the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance (JOFA) and author of The Men s Section: Orthodox Jewish Men in an Egalitarian World.
- Author(s)Chaya Rosenfeld Gorsetman,Elana Maryles Sztokman
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/10/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Note18 tables
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.