All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA conservative, bipartisan consensus dominates the discussion about what's wrong with our schools and how to fix them. It offers solutions that scapegoat teachers, vilify unions, and impose a market mentality. But in each case, students lose. This book, written by teacher-activists, speaks back to that elite consensus and offers an alternative vision of learning for liberation.
- Author BiographySarah Knopp is a public high school teacher in Los Angeles. She has been teaching economics and government for eleven years. A frequent contributor to the International Socialist Review, Knopp also has written for Rethinking Schools, CounterPunch, and United Teacher. She is an activist with United Teachers Los Angeles, a union co-chair at her school, and a dedicated participant in the movements for public education, immigrants rights, and social equality. Jeff Bale is assistant professor of second language education at Michigan State University. He teaches and writes about the history and politics of language education in US schools, and about language policies targeting immigrant youth in Germany. His work has appeared in International Socialist Review, Annual Review of Applied Linguistics and Tertium Comparationis. In addition, Bale taught English learners and German in urban public schools for a decade. In District of Columbia Public Schools, he was a building representative for the Washington Teachers' Union. While teaching in Tempe, Arizona, Bale was active in school-based and community organizations challenging anti-bilingual education policies in that state.
- PublisherHaymarket Books
- Date of Publication13/03/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaymarket Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight425 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJeff Bale,Sarah Knopp
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.