All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.18
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $117.44
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.58
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $106.89
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $86.21
About this product
- DescriptionLocated in the domain of cultural politics, the book with rich ethgraphical data from Mizoram, a lesser kwn and understood state, brings the community, state and culture to centre-stage, along with family and stratification of the sociological discourse in education. The book argues for a re-look at school education in Mizoram, besides providing critical insights into the North East region as a whole. It also points to the dilemmas of development in that region and suggests possible ways out of the impasse. Marking a significant departure from conventional thinking on education as 'human capital' as reflected in North-East Vision: 2020, the book strongly advocates the need for critical pedagogies based on learning from conflict; inculcating the values of tolerance and compassion as a precursor to peace; reconceptualising 'development, t merely as 'ecomic' but as indicator of national happiness and valuing lives equally besides respect for traditional institutions, thus marking a break from the much resented paternalism that underpins all state interventions in education. One of the first studies of its kind regarding experience and practice of education, the book makes an important contribution to the role that education can play to usher in peace and promote respect for differences.
- Author BiographyLakshmi Bhatia is Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Aditi Mahavidyalaya, Delhi.
- Author(s)Lakshmi Bhatia
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/05/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleTransition in North Eastern India
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoutledge India
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.