All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUpdated with both a new introduction and a series of interviews, the second edition of Education and the Crisis of Public Values examines American society's shift away from democratic public values, the ensuing move toward a market-driven mode of education, and the last decade's growing social disinvestment in youth. The book discusses the number of ways that the ideal of public education as a democratic public sphere has been under siege, including full-fledged attacks by corporate interests on public school teachers, schools of education, and teacher unions. It also reveals how a business culture cloaked in the guise of generosity and reform has supported a charter school movement that aims to dismantle public schools in favor of a corporate-friendly privatized system. The book encourages educators to become public intellectuals, willing to engage in creating a formative culture of learning that can nurture the ability to defend public and higher education as a general good - one crucial to sustaining a critical citizenry and a democratic society.
- Author BiographyHENRY A. GIROUX is the McMaster University Chair for Scholarship in the Public Interest in the English and Cultural Studies Department and a Distinguished Visiting Professorship at Ryerson University. His primary research areas are in cultural studies, youth studies, critical pedagogy, popular culture, media studies, social theory, and the politics of higher and public education. In 2002, he was named as one of the top fifty educational thinkers of the modern period in Fifty Modern Thinkers on Education: From Piaget to the Present. He is on the editorial and advisory boards of many scholarly journals and has published numerous books and articles. His most recent books are America's Educational Deficit and the War on Youth (2013), Neoliberalism's War on Higher Education (2015), and The Violence of Organized Forgetting (2015). His web site is www.henryagiroux.com.
- Author(s)Henry A. Giroux
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication23/04/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number400
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight310 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.