All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing from the ideas of Michel Foucault, this book offers a critical examination of today's dominant discourse of educational leadership. Foucault's understanding of critique is as a 'permanent' ethos in which humans explore the nature of their existence but at the same time query the limits imposed upon them, and probe opportunities for increasing freedom. This book outlines the key concepts in the work of Foucault, and demonstrates how his concepts of discourse, power/kwledge, and governmentality offer an understanding of how ideas of educational leadership and management have emerged, how they serve to establish a discipline, and how they construct individuals - pupils, teachers, and head teachers - in particular ideological ways. The discourse of educational leadership and management t only represents a specific means of 'governing' education but also calls for the development of approved management and leadership skills and behaviours. The related focus on cultivating, valuing, and rewarding effective leaders is eminently suited to Foucauldian critique, which t only questions the basis for its assumptions and rms, but also examines the way in which the subjects of ELMA - today's educational professionals - are both constructed by the discourse and are called upon to shape themselves accordingly. Included in the book: - educational leadership as discourse - educational leadership as discipline - power and educational leadership - governmentality and educational leadership. By both applying theory and examining empirical exemplars, this volume offers a challenge to dominant leadership discourse and suggests alternative understandings of the field and approaches to practice. The book will be of value to researchers and postgraduate students with an interest in educational leadership, management and administration, as well as to practitioners in the school system.
- Author BiographyDonald Gillies is Professor of Education Policy at York St John University, UK.
- Author(s)Donald Gillies
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Educational Leadership, Management and Administration
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.