All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMunch was Norway's greatest artist and one of the founders of the Expressionist movement. He first made a name for himself as a painter, and though he started making prints only after the sensation of his 1892 Berlin exhibition, his graphic work was itself an important influence on twentieth-century art. Munch was inspired by the cycles of etchings by the German artist Max Klinger to create graphic versions of his own invative psychological imagery, working first in a style related to Symbolism and Art Nouveau to produce both etchings and lithographs. This book accompanies an exhibition of Munch's greatest prints at the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow and the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin, selected from the unrivalled holdings of the Munch Museum, Oslo. Essays by Peter Black and Magne Bruteig provide a general introduction to Munch's prints, illustrating masterpieces in the major techniques used by the artist.
- Author BiographyArt historian Magne Bruteig was educated at the University of Oslo. He is senior curator of prints and drawings at the Munch Museum, and author of 'Munch Drawings' (2004). He also contributed to the seminal exhibition Much Becoming Munch (2009). Peter Black is curator of prints at the Hunterian Art Gallery. He studied at Oxford and has written widely on prints and drawings. His publications include 'The Prints of Stanley William Hayter: A Complete Catalogue' (1992), and he has curated numerous print exhibitions, ranging from Parmigianino (2008) to Whistler and Nineteenth-century Printmaking (2003).
- Author(s)Magne Bruteig,Peter Black
- PublisherPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Content Note58 colour, 14 monochrome
- Weight726 g
- Width215 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.