All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.85
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.22
About this product
- DescriptionPainter and illustrator Edward Bawden's five scrapbooks, assembled over a period of more than 55 years, contain everything from stamps, photographs, cigarette cards, Christmas cards and letters to newspaper cuttings, drawings and autographs, amongst other fascinating ephemera. Beautifully designed and illustrated with over 250 images taken from these books, Edward Bawden Scrapbooks reveals this wonderful and at times eccentric collection and provides a new insight into one of the most popular artists of 20th-century Britain. The pages illustrated provide an alternative window into Bawden's world, showing his very conscious awareness of both Surrealism and the work of other contemporary designers and typographers. But it is t only aficionados of Bawden who will be beguiled by these scrapbooks: perusing them is like trawling through an almanac of art, design and literature of the inter- and post-war years and the work of other key artists of the era such as Ben Nicholson, David Jones, Evelyn Dunbar, Eric Ravilious and Hugh Casson also appears. Some pages are beautiful, some instructive and others simply baffling but when taken in conjunction with Bawden's watercolours, prints, illustrations, murals and other designs, the scrapbooks are the closest thing we have to an autobiography of one of the 20th-century's most reclusive and English of artists.
- Author BiographyPeyton Skipwith is an independent fine art consultant and Brian Webb is a designer and lecturer. Together, they are the authors of Edward Bawden's London (2011) and numerous other publications on British design including books featuring the work of Eric Ravilious, Paul and John Nash, David Gentleman, Peter Blake and the Curwen Press.
- Author(s)Brian Webb,Peyton Skipwith
- PublisherLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLund Humphries Publishers Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1429 g
- Width240 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.