Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionOn the whole the Victorians were a pretty repressed lot. You only have to look at the plants and ornaments they put under glass cases. Lytton Strachey once referred to it as the Glass Case Age. He said it was the result of an innate incapacity for penetration: 'All enclosed in glass - all physically impotent ...it's damned difficult to copulate through a glass case.' Beginning with previously unpublished letters from Effie Gray's childhood, Linda Randall has traced the story of the clever little Scots girl who grew up to become kwn as 'The Fair Maid of Perth' and who went on to marry two artistic giants of the nineteenth century: John Ruskin and John Everett Millais. This is the story of Effie's marriage to John Ruskin, and how she learned to deal with it.
- Author BiographyLinda Randall read Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge and has taught French, Italian and English as a Foreign Language at home and abroad. She has an MA in Life-Writing from the University of East Anglia and is the winner of an Escalator Award for Literature. Effie Gray, Fair Maid of Perth was shortlisted for the Tony Lothian Biographers' Club Prize.
- Author(s)Linda Randall
- PublisherMelrose Books
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationEly
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMelrose Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight636 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.