All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionHow do Egyptian Muslims celebrate Ramadan? How do Copts - Egyptian Christians - celebrate Easter? What should you expect to find on the table when invited to eat in an Egyptian home? What do you say when an Egyptian colleague sneezes? Exactly what do Egyptians do with a mortar and pestle, a sieve, and a bag of nuts seven days after the birth of a baby? Samia Abdenur, once an outsider from Palestine, w thoroughly at home in Egypt, is here to tell you all about these matters - and many more. In a book that aims to introduce the unfamiliar newcomer or interested foreign reader to the hows, whats, and whys of Egyptians life, the author covers such diverse topics as birth, marriage, and death; religious festivals and fasting; food in the home and on the street; business etiquette and terms of politeness. She describes how some traditions differ between the two religious communities, the Muslims and the Copts, and how some customs are shared by all Egyptians - like the spring festival of Shamm al-Nisim ('smelling the breezes') that goes back to pharaonic times. With Egyptian Customs and Festivals , you need never be at a loss in a social situation in Egypt - or fail to understand what your neighbors are up to. Illustrated throughout with color photographs of daily life and special occasions, this fascinating and informative book is a must-have for anyone new to Egyptian culture.
- Author BiographySamia Abdennour is the author of the bestselling Egyptian Cooking and Other Middle Eastern Recipes (AUC Press, revised edition, 2005).
- Author(s)Samia Abdennour
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Content Note24 colour illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width151 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.