All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Feeney, best kwn for his landmark documentary films and still photography that have chronicled much of Egypt's life and many of its greater and lesser events over the last four decades, also happens to be something of a wizard in the kitchen, and he has finally been persuaded to share the recipes for some of his most original - and extraordinarily tasty - creations for all to enjoy. Beyond merely nutritious, Feeney's soups are either ambrosial or aphrodisiac, and sometimes both, and, with the possible exception of his legendary Creme de Truffe du Desert, for which the highly elusive desert truffle is essential, all can be made with ingredients seasonally available in Egypt and widely available in other parts of the world too. Most of the ingredients of the winter soups have been used in Egypt for thousands of years: lentils, cumin, leeks, garlic, and gargir (Egyptian rocket). And in the stifling heat of July and August in Cairo, you can enjoy the most unusual iced summer soups, using the melons of Sinai and the juices of pomegranates, guavas, and strawberries. Each recipe is accompanied by the author's own photographs and by a wealth of little kwn facts about the spices, herbs, fruits, and vegetables used - the aphrodisiac power of dangerous nutmeg and exotic ginger, the use of apricots with a touch of arsenic, and the tendency of lettuce to induce dreams.
- Author BiographyJOHN FEENEY is the author of Photographing Egypt: Forty Years behind the Lens (AUC Press, 2005). He lives in New Zealand and visits Egypt frequently.
- Author(s)John Feeney
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Content Note35 colour illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width160 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $13.00Trending at AU $15.62
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $27.17
- AU $37.35Trending at AU $39.83
- AU $24.75Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $16.55Trending at AU $18.11
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $39.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.