All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $91.04
- AU $41.00Trending at AU $52.74
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionIn these linked stories, the constants are the places--from Eight Mile High, the local high school, to Eight Miles High, the local bar; from The Clock, a restaurant that never closes, to Stan's, a store that sells misfit clothes. Daniels's characters wander Detroit, a world of concrete, where even a small strip of greenery becomes a hideout for mystery and mayhem. Even when they leave town--to Scout camp, or Washington, DC, or the mythical Up North, they take with them their hardscrabble working-class sensibilities and their determination to do what they must do to get by. With a survival instinct that includes a healthy dose of humor, Daniels's characters navigate work and love, change and loss, the best they can. These characters don't have the luxury of feeling sorry for themselves, even when they stumble. They dust themselves off and head back into the ring with ather rope-a-dope wisecrack. These stories seem to suggest that we are always coming of age, becoming, trying to figure out what it means to be an adult in this world, attempting to figure out a way to forgive ourselves for t measuring up to our own expectations of what it means to lead a successful, happy life.
- Author BiographyJim Ray Daniels has published four collections of short stories and has won numerous prizes for his work. His writing has been featured on Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac, in Billy Collins's Poetry 180 anthologies, and in Ted Kooser's American Life in Poetry series.
- Author(s)Jim Ray Daniels
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.