All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1953, August A. Busch purchased the St. Louis Cardinals for nearly four million dollars. His dream included t only the best players money could buy but a brand new Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. The early sixties found Busch working on both, and by May 1966, when the new Busch Stadium was opened, the St. Louis Cardinals were on the cusp of greatness. A world championship would follow in 1967, and in 1968 the Cardinals battled the Tigers in a classic seven-game series, narrowly losing their bid for back-to-back titles. This volume looks back at the outstanding Cardinal teams of the 1967 and 1968 seasons. Beginning with the ownership shift in the early 1950s, it examines the events leading up to the opening of the new stadium and tracks the various player trades, policy changes and inside dealings of baseball that produced one of the era's great teams. The effects of Branch Rickey's farm system on both the franchise's success and the sport of baseball are discussed, as are the rumblings of labor trouble that would directly involve one of the Cardinals' own. An appendix contains detailed statistics from the 1967 and 1968 seasons. An index and period photographs are also included.
- Author BiographyDoug Feldmann is a professor in the College of Education at Northern Kentucky University and a part-time scout for the Cincinnati Reds. He is the author of seven books including September Streak: The 1935 Chicago Cubs Chase the Pennant (2003), Fleeter Than Birds: The 1985 St. Louis Cardinals and Small Ball's Last Hurrah (2002), Dizzy and the Gashouse Gang: The 1934 St. Louis Cardinals and Depression-Era Baseball (2000) and Miracle Collapse: The 1969 Chicago Cubs (University of Nebraska Press, 2006).
- Author(s)Doug Feldmann
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/06/2007
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotographs, bibliography, index
- Weight553 g
- Width156 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.