All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.60
- AU $92.81Trending at AU $103.88
- AU $67.16Trending at AU $74.80
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.70
- AU $41.18Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.48
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.74
About this product
- DescriptionIn October 1918, a young Austrian officer of the Imperial Army, Herbert Menis, reinstates himself into the draft after a brief period of convalescence. Upon arriving in Belgrade, where he is stationed, he falls in love with Resa Lang, a young woman in Marie Antoinette's court. He decides to pursue her, and their romance develops amidst a milieu full of contrasts: the pomp of the court versus the Austro-Hungarian regiment facing the harshness and the losses of war. The main characters seem to be outside of their time, continuing traditions and a way of life characteristic of the Empire that will likely soon disappear. Is Herbert's love for his emblematic standard greater than his love for Resa? Originally published in 1934, this chronicle of traditions, love, and adventure is considered one of the best vels dealing with the chaos of the downfall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the resulting emptiness left by its disintegration.
- Author BiographyAlexander Lernet-Holenia was an Austrian poet, novelist, and playwright. He received many honors for his work, including the Kleist Prize, the Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Grand Austrian State Prize for Literature, and the Austrian Decoration for Science and Art. He is the author of I Was Jack Mortimer, Mars in Aries, and The Resurrection of Maltravers, among many other works. Ignacio Vidal-Folch is a Spanish journalist and writer. He is the author of El arte no paga, Contramundo, La libertad, Lo que cuenta es la ilusion, and No se lo digas a nadie.
- Author(s)Alexander Lernet-Holenia
- PublisherLibros del Asteroide S.L.U.
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLibros del Asteroide S.L.U.
- Weight499 g
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.