Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.39Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionIt is the dawning of the Renaissance, and the Moors have ruled Granada of Spain for eight hundred years, while in Italy the Kingdom of Naples is attacked by France, threatening the stability of Europe. From this political maelstrom an unlikely hero emerges, El Gran Capitan, favorite knight of popular young Queen Isabel of Spain and her consort King Fernando. Splendid, handsome, and generous, El Gran Capitan moves with ease between common folk and royalty, Sultans and Popes, the Medici and the Turks. He befriends his enemy, Sultan Boabdil of Granada, before negotiating with him the horable surrender of the Moorish dynasty in Spain. He defeats the French in Italy time and again before offering them a dignified and ble retreat, paving the way for marriage between the royal houses of France and Spain. He is both a fearless leader and the soul of integrity, victor of every conflict and consummate diplomat, eventually recognized as the Greatest Soldier of the Renaissance. However, after Queen Isabel's untimely death, King Fernando succumbs to jealousy over her admiration for El Gran Capitan, and a royal court seething with envy feeds his paraia. The King turns on El Gran Capitan in first betrayal and then punishment, until only the imminent death of old age stands between them. I don't care what will be written by those who write about the events we are living. Historians will come behind us. You said that men and kings are measured in defeat. Now I say to you, they are also measured by how they behave in triumph. Love, intrigue, and treason. Chivalry, friendship, and enmity. The struggle for control of Mediterranean Europe of the Renaissance rages across battlefields, royal courts, and human hearts, to end in the tragedy of a despotic king's moral disintegration.
- Author BiographyBorn and raised in Quito, Ecuador, Angel J. Ortiz Jr. graduated from the US Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland and served in the Ecuador Navy. While working for the Bechtel Corporation in California, as Engineering Manager, he travelled to South America, Europe, India, and the Orient, and it was during the years he spent in Bilbao and Barcelona that he became interested in Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba, also known as El Gran Capitan. The fact that his wife is a direct descendant of this historical figure's family gave rise to them amassing a wealth of documented information during their stay in Spain and Italy. Equipped with insights into the life of his protagonist, as well as those of other important characters, Ortiz was highly motivated to bring the story of El Gran Capitan to the public. Ortiz currently resides in San Diego, California with his wife.
- Author(s)Angel J Ortiz Jr
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication18/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight803 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.