All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA brilliant look at how modernizing technical and stylistic changes of the 1930s gave rise to international trends in fashion Despite the dire financial environment of the 1930s, this decade gave rise to great technical and aesthetic invations in fashion. This handsomely illustrated book is the first to analyze important developments in both men's and women's fashions of that time. Select experts contribute texts that delve into the ecomic, political, and cultural influences that shaped these emergent styles. They also explore how industrial capabilities, such as the production of new textiles, allowed couturiers to drape fabric in ways t previously possible, and how revolutionary dressmaking and tailoring techniques gave form to truly modern clothing. Advancements in menswear tailoring in London and Naples paralleled breakthroughs in couture draping in Paris, New York, and even Shanghai. Hollywood also played a role in defining and popularizing this glamorous style. The international trend toward softer, minimally ornamented, and elegantly proportioned clothing differed markedly from the more restrictive attire of the preceding Edwardian era. By contrast, the fashions of the 1930s were made for movement, highlighting the natural and classically idealized body. The revival of classicism and other artistic influences were crucial to the creation of this clean, minimal, and modern new look.
- Author BiographyPatricia Mears is deputy director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York. G. Bruce Boyer is a leading menswear writer and historian.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2014
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note120 colour illustrations
- Weight1909 g
- Width245 mm
- Height317 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byG. Bruce Boyer,Patricia Mears
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.