All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this body of work, Jen Davis deal with insecurities about her own body image and the direct correlation between self-perception and the way one is perceived by others. Photography is the medium that Davis uses to tell her own story through life, an outlet for revealing her thoughts and opinions about the society in which we live. In these photographs Davis aims to raise questions regarding beauty, desire, body image, and identity through a focused observation of her own personal story.
- Author BiographyJen Davis (b. 1978 in Akron, Ohio) is a New York-based photographer. For ten years she has been working on series of self-portraits dealing with issues regarding beauty, identity, and body image. She is interested in investigating the idea of relationships--both physical and psychological--with her camera. She received an MFA from Yale University in 2008, and a BA from Columbia College Chicago in 2002.Davis' work has been exhibited both nationally and internationally. She has exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, MA; Catherine Edelman Gallery, Stephen Daiter Contemporary, and Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago, IL; Milwaukee Art Museum in Milwaukee, WI; and the Galerie Priska Pasquer in Cologne, Germany. Davis is represented by Lee Marks Fine Art in Shelbyville, IN. Anne Wilkes Tucker received undergraduate degrees from Randolph Macon Woman's College and Rochester Institute of Technology and a graduate degree from the Visual Studies Workshop, a division of the State University of New York. After working in various museums and universities, she founded the photography department at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston in 1976 and is currently the Gus and Lyndall Wortham Curator. Ms. Tucker has curated over forty exhibitions, most of which were accompanied by a publication, and has contributed essays to many additional monographs and catalogues and published many articles. She has also lectured throughout the U.S., Europe, Asia and Latin America and been awarded fellowships by the National Endowment for the Arts, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, the Brown Foundation Dora Maar Fellowship, the Humanities Research Center at the University of Texas, and The Getty Center. In 2001, in an issue devoted to America's Best, TIME magazine honored her as America's Best Curator. She was the first recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Focus Award from the Griffin Museum of Photography in 2006 and received an Alumnae Achievement Award from Randolph Macon Woman's College. In 2011 she received an honorary doctorate from the College at Brockport State University of New York. John Pilson is a photographer, video artist and teacher at Yale University School of Art and Bard College.
- Author(s)Jen Davis
- PublisherKehrer Verlag
- Date of Publication17/04/2014
- Place of PublicationHeidelberg
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintKehrer Verlag
- Content Note1
- Weight918 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.42Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $44.21Trending at AU $48.15
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.