Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis selection of over two hundred photographs, many previously unpublished, documents the ways of life in Ely from the 1860s to the 1960s. The history of Ely can be traced back to Saxon times, but this book focuses on the area's development during the Edwardian and Victorian period and into the twentieth century. The images depict the role of the cathedral through time as well as the industries of Ely such as agriculture, brewing, boat-building and basket-making. The pictures and their extensively researched captions reveal t only the physical development of the city (which still follows its medieval street plan), but also the changes in costume and custom, transport and trading, sport and entertainment. Including images of the neighbouring villages of Chettisham, Prickwillow, Queen Adelaide and Stuntney, this book will give pleasure to anyone interested in the memories Ely has to offer.
- Author BiographyChris Jakes is a local historian and the author of Cambridge in Old Photographs.
- Author(s)Chris Jakes
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2009
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.