All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith a different and delightfully practical approach to a traditional, time-houred subject, Jan shows how to create a wonderful selection of portraits, all in realistic style and created using raised embroidery, applique and decorative hand stitches. Simple instructions for shaping different-angled heads, creating faces, adding features and stitching the hair are just the start. She goes on to show different hairstyles and wigs: straight, wavy, curly, free flowing and unkempt. Scale is important and there are full instructions on which threads and stitches to use. Moving on to poses, arms and hands, garments and accessories, there are full instructions and illustrations every step of the way. You learn how to personalise and embellish portraits with fabric, felt, lace, beads, braids and cords, and there is plenty of inspirational advice plus many new ideas. Whether you are new to stitching or an experienced embroiderer, you will find much here to enthrall and excite you in this very special book.
- Author BiographyJan Messent qualified as a teacher in the mid-50s and, after teaching Art, History and English, became deeply involved with embroidery as an art form. As a member of the Embroiderers' Guild, she taught embroidery design to its members, wrote and illustrated design books, and lectured worldwide. Her last embroidery book was about the Bayeux Tapestry. She became interested in the experimental use of knitting and crochet and hoped, by her books on the subject, to open up new dimensions in the creative use of yarn. Now, having retired from lecturing, Jan writes historical fiction full-time, embroidering as a side-line, reading, painting, and listening to good music.
- Author(s)Jan Messent
- PublisherSearch Press Ltd
- Date of Publication16/07/2012
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationTunbridge Wells
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSearch Press Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight852 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.