All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionEmerging Metropolis tells the story of New York's emergence as the greatest Jewish city of all time. It explores the Central European and East European Jews' encounter with New York City, tracing immigrants' ecomic, social, religious, political, and cultural adaptation between 1840 and 1920. This meticulously researched volume shows how Jews wove their ambitions and aspirations-for freedom, security, and material prosperity-into the very fabric and physical landscape of the city.
- Author BiographyAnnie Polland is Senior Vice President for Programs and Education at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. Daniel Soyer teaches history at Fordham University in the Bronx. He is the author of the prize-winning Jewish Immigrant Associations and American Identity in New York, 1880-1939, and co-editor and translator of My Future is in America: East European Jewish Immigrant Autobiographies.
- Author(s)Annie Polland,Daniel Soyer
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCity of Promises
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.