All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionBest kwn for his theories of ethics and responsibility, Emmanuel Levinas was one of the most profound and influential thinkers of the last century. In this clear, accessible guide, Sean Hand examines why Levinas is increasingly fundamental to the study of literature and culture today. Exploring the intellectual and social contexts of his work and the events that shaped it, Hand considers: * the influence of phemelogy and Judaism on Levinas's thought * key concepts such as the 'face', the 'other', ethical consciousness and responsibility * Levinas's work on aesthetics * the relationship of philosophy and religion in his writings * the interaction of his work with historical discussions * his often complex relationships with other theorists and theories Emmanuel Levinas's unique contribution to theory set an exemplary standard for all subsequent thought. This outstanding guide to his work will prove invaluable to scholars and students across a wide range of disciplines - from philosophy and literary criticism through to international relations and the creative arts.
- Author BiographySean Hand is Professor of French and Head of the Department of French Studies at the University of Warwick. His central research interests focus on twentieth-century French writing and philosophy.
- Author(s)Sean Hand
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/09/2008
- Series TitleRoutledge Critical Thinkers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight272 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.