All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the Winner of Scottish Book of the Year Award 2013. Gavin Francis fulfilled a lifetime's ambition when he spent fourteen months as the base-camp doctor at Halley, a profoundly isolated British research station on the Caird Coast of Antarctica. So remote, it is said to be easier to evacuate a casualty from the International Space Station than it is to bring someone out of Halley in winter. Antarctica offered a year of unparalleled silence and solitude, with few distractions and very little human history, but also a rare oppurtunity to live among emperor penguins, the only species truly at home in the Antarctic. Following the penguins throughout the year - from a summer of perpetual sunshine to months of winter darkness - Gavin Francis explores a world of great beauty conjured from the simplest elements, the hardship of living at 50degreeC below zero and the unexpected comfort that the penguin community bring.
- Author BiographyGavin Francis was born in 1975 and brought up in Fife, Scotland. After qualifying from medical school in Edinburgh he spent ten years travelling, visiting all seven continents. He has worked in Africa and India, made several trips to the Arctic, and crossed Eurasia and Australasia by motorcycle. His first book, True North, was published in 2008. He has lectured widely and his essays have appeared in the Guardian, Granta and the London Review of Books. He lives in Edinburgh. www.gavinfrancis.com
- PrizesWinner of Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Book Awards: Book of the Year 2013. Shortlisted for Costa Biography Award 2013 and Ondaatje Prize 2013.
- Author(s)Gavin Francis
- Date of Publication07/11/2013
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight269 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $71.16Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.