Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistory and humanity flow through Empire Falls, Maine, like the strange flotsam washed up at the bend of the vast, slow-moving Kx River. The Whiting family, owners of the mills and the shirt factory, have sold out to a multinational. The Whiting men have invariably married women who make their lives a misery. C.B. Whiting was exception. Now his wife, Francine, the last Mrs Whiting, presides like a black widow spider over the declining fortunes of the town. Its hub is the Empire Grill, with a view down the avenue to the abandoned mill and factory. Miles Roby, a gentle, funny loser runs the grill and hopes one day to own it. Meantime, though, his wife has run off with his worst customer, he's anxious about his adored teenage daughter and his one-handed brother, his incorrigible father sponges off everyone, the police have Miles in their sights, and Mrs Whiting has her own plans for him. Here is a huge-hearted and magnificent vel by a master storyteller, marked by comic genius and a love of humankind with all its flaws and foibles. As it builds inexorably to a shocking climax, Russo constantly surprises with characters who creep under your guard to disarm you, a plot with as many twists and falls as the Kx River itself, and an ending that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
- Author BiographyRichard Russo won the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for his fifth novel, Empire Falls. He is also the author of Mohawk, The Risk Pool, Nobody's Fool, Straight Man, Bridge of Sighs and That Old Cape Magic, as well as a collection of stories, The Whore's Child; and a memoir, On Helwig Street. His original screenplay is the basis for Rowan Atkinson's film Keeping Mum. He lives with his wife in Maine.
- PrizesWinner of Pulitzer Prize Novel Category 2002 and Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2002.
- Author(s)Richard Russo
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication09/05/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight340 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.39Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.