All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe essays in Empire and Nation challenge facile assumptions about the exceptional character of the republic's founding moment, even as they invite readers to think anew about the complex ways in which the Revolution reshaped both American society and the Atlantic world. How did events and ideas from elsewhere in the British empire influence development in the thirteen American colonies? And what was the effect of the American Revolution on the wider Atlantic world? In Empire and Nation, leading historians reconsider the American Revolution as a transnational event, with many sources and momentous implications for Ireland, Africa, the West Indies, Canada, and Britain itself. The opening section of the book situates the origins of the American Revolution in the commercial, ethnic, and political ferment that characterized Britain's Atlantic empire at the close of the Seven Years' War. The empire experienced extraordinary changes, ranging from the first stirrings of nationalism in Ireland to the dramatic expansion of British rule in Canada, Africa, and India. The second part focuses on the rebellion of the thirteen colonies, touching on slavery and ethnicity, the changing nature of religious faith, and ideas about civil society and political organization. Finally, contributors examine the changes wrought by the American Revolution both within Britain's remaining imperial possessions and among the other states in the emerging concert of Europe.
- Author BiographyEliga H. Gould is a professor of history and chair of the Department of History at the University of New Hampshire. He is the author of Among the Powers of the Earth: The American Revolution and the Making of a New World Empire. Peter S. Onuf is professor emeritus of history at the University of Virginia. He is the author of The Mind of Thomas Jefferson.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication06/11/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleAnglo-America in the Transatlantic World
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note1, 1 black & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byEliga H. Gould,Peter S. Onuf
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.