All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $36.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe dominant form of Ottoman pictorial art until the eighteenth century, miniatures have traditionally been studied as reflecting the socio-historical contexts, aesthetic concerns and artistic tastes of the era within which they were produced. Begum Ozden Fyrat proposes instead a radical re-reading of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century miniatures in the light of contemporary critical theory, highlighting the viewer's encounter with the image. Encounters with the Ottoman Miniature employs contemporary concepts such as the gaze, frame/framing, reading and re-reading, drawing on thinkers such as Walter Benjamin, Roland Barthes and Gilles Deleuze to establish the vibrant cultural agency of miniature paintings. With analysis that illuminates both the social and political situations in which these miniatures were painted as well as emphasising the miniature's contemporary relevance, Firat presents an important new re-imagining of this art form.
- Author BiographyBegum Ozden Firat is Assistant Professor, Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Department of Sociology, Istanbul. She holds a PhD in Visual Culture from the University of Amsterdam and is the co-editor of Commitment and Complicity in Cultural Theory and Practice (2009).
- Author(s)Begum Ozden Firat
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleInternational Library of Visual Culture
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 bw integrated, 8 colour in 8pp plates
- Weight454 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.