Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionThis encyclopedia presents a wealth of information on early cinema history, with coverage of the techniques and equipment of film production, profiles of the pioneering directors and producers, analysis of individual films and the rapid growth of distinct film genres, and the emergence of something the world had never seen before - the movie star. The work also focuses on how the nature of film exhibition changed as the industry grew, and how the public's reception to films also changed. The pre-cinema period is closely examined to show those mass-cultural forms and practices - such as music hall and vaudeville - from within which cinema was to emerge. A perfect companion for any student of early cinema and film studies.
- Author BiographyRichard Abel is director of the Graduate Certificate Program in Film and Video Studies at the University of Michigan. His essays have appeared in dozens of journals and been translated into French, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch. Along with several of those essays, four of his books have won national or international awards. Recently he began research on a new project, Trash Twins: Moving Pictures and Newspapers in the USA, 1911-1914.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date20/10/2016
- Content Note134 black & white illustrations
- Weight1383 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Edited byRichard Abel
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.