Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe Encyclopedia of Great Popular Song Recordings, Volumes 1 and 2 covers the full range of popular music recordings with virtually unprecedented breadth and depth. In this 2-volume encyclopedia, Sullivan explores approximately 1,000 song recordings from 1889 to the present, telling the stories behind the songs, recordings, performers, and songwriters. From the Victorian parlor ballad and ragtime hit at the end of the 19th century to today's rock classics, the Encyclopedia progresses through a parade popular music styles, from jazz to blues to country Western, as well as the important but too often neglected genres of ethnic and world music, gospel, and traditional folk. This book is the ideal research tool for lovers of popular music in all its glorious variety.
- Author BiographySteve Sullivan is editor and owner of LDI Publications (starting as a reporter in 1985, becoming managing editor in 1989, and its owner since 1999), which publishes the Resort Development Law Reporter and the Digest of State Resort Development Regulations, and also serves as associate editor of the D.C. Real Estate Reporter. Prior to this, he was a freelance writer for Network News, with individual articles placed with various newspapers around the country including the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The seeds of this book were planted from 1983-86 when he researched and ghost-wrote Pop Memories 1890-1954: The History of American Popular Music (cover author and editor Joel Whitburn contracted Sullivan under his Record Research, Inc.). He is the author of Va Va Voom; Bombshells: Glamour Girls of a Lifetime; and Glamour Girls: The Illustrated Encyclopedia, and also wrote and edited the magazine Glamour Girls Then and Now from 1994-2002. Sullivan has provided secondary material for some of Joel Whitburn's Billboard-chart books after 1986, most notably editions of the Pop Annual, as well as fresh research data for a contemplated new edition of Pop Memories.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2014 and Library Journal Best Reference Source Award 2013.
- Author(s)Steve Sullivan
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication04/10/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note82 black & white illustrations
- Weight3341 g
- Width226 mm
- Height288 mm
- Spine71 mm
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.