All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRecording Artists don't always enjoy success with their first release. A hit record relies on any number of factors: the right song, a memorable performance, a healthy promotional budget, great management, a spot of luck, and even some intangibles. Take choice of a name. For a single artist, duo, vocal group or band, the name can carry a lot of weight. Some recording artists changed their name to appeal to an entirely different demographic, like when country superstar Garth Brooks recorded as Chris Gaines to score on the pop charts. The Beefeaters became the Byrds-and they spelled the band name with a y in the wake of the meteoric success of the Beatles, whose letter A turned the image of a nasty bug into something intriguing. Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel amassed a litany of aliases-Simon went by True Taylor, Jerry Landis, and Paul Kane; Art Garfunkel as Artie Garr; together they were Tom & Jerry before finally using their very ethnic-sounding given names. Bob Leszczak has amassed several hundred examples of musical pseudonyms in The Encyclopedia of Pop Music Aliases, 1950-2000, describing the history of these artists from their obscure origins under ather name to their rise to prominence as a major musical act. Music trivia buffs, rock historians, and popular music fans will uncover nugget after nugget of eye-opening information about their favorite acts and perhaps learn a thing or two about a number of other acts. Leszczak goes the extra yard of gathering critical data directly from many of these famous recording artists through in-person interviews and archival research. Whether skipping around randomly or reading from cover-to-cover, readers will find The Encyclopedia of Pop Music Aliases, 1950-2000 a must-have for that music library.
- Author BiographyBob Leszczak, author of Single Season Sitcoms, 1948-1979: A Complete Guide (McFarland Publishing, 2012), was also the writer and producer of Solid Gold Scrapbook, a weekly five-hour music trivia radio show for the United Stations Radio Network. For more than three decades, he's been an oldies radio on-air personality. He is author of the Who Did It First? trilogy of titles on rhythm and blues, pop, and rock and roll cover songs and their original artists, all published in 2013 and 2014.
- Author(s)Bob Leszczak
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication11/12/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note88 black & white halftones
- Weight853 g
- Width162 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine40 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.