All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.55Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $55.57Trending at AU $56.64
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.42
- AU $29.98Trending at AU $31.26
- AU $46.04Trending at AU $52.51
- AU $12.72Trending at AU $13.11
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.24
About this product
- DescriptionIn Encyclopedia of a Life in Russia, acclaimed author Jose Manuel Prieto has masterfully crafted a kaleidoscopic portrait of post-Communist Russia. Strikingly poetic and cleverly humorous, it's the story of two misfits caught between old world traditions and the lure of contemporary Western influences as they set off on an adventure to immerse themselves in the beauty of the world. Thelonius Monk (t his real name) and Linda Evangelista (t her real name) meet in Saint Petersburg after the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991. They journey to Yalta, where Thelonius promises to make Linda famous in the fashion magazines. But in fact, he's drafting a vel about her. Over the course of their travels, the two indulge in all sorts of sensual amusementsextravagant dinners, luxury automobiles, seaside hotelswhile they engage in grand discussions of love, art, celebrity, and other existential polarities. Alphabetically organized from Abacus to Zizi, this book defies chrology and conformity. Finding the sublime in the trivial through meditations on wildly varied subjects of fact and fancyfrom Bach and Dostoyevsky to Italian alligator shoes and fluoride toothpastePrieto ardently explores the crossroads of literature, philosophy, history, and pop culture in this singular vel that captures a nation straddling custom and invation.
- Author BiographyJose Manuel Prieto was born in Havana in 1962. He lived in Russia for twelve years, has translated the works of Joseph Brodsky and Anna Akhmatova into Spanish, and has taught Russian history in Mexico City. He's the author of Nocturnal Butterflies of the Russian Empire and Rex. He has held teaching appointments at Cornell and Princeton, and currently teaches at Seton Hall University.
- Author(s)Jose Manuel Prieto
- PublisherGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Date of Publication17/01/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Weight204 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.