All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEncyclopedia of the Exquisite is a lifestyle guide for the Francophile and the Anglomaniac, the gourmet and the style maven, the armchair traveler and the art lover. It's an homage to the esoteric world of glamour that doesn't require much spending but makes us feel rich. Taking a cue from the exotic encyclopedias of the sixteenth century, which brimmed with mysterious artifacts, Jessica Kerwin Jenkins's Encyclopedia of the Exquisite focuses on the elegant, the rare, the commonplace, and the delightful. A com-pendium of style, it merges whimsy and practicality, traipsing through the fine arts and the worlds of fashion, food, travel, home, garden, and beauty. Each entry features several engaging anecdotes, illuminating the curious past of each enduring source of beauty. Subjects covered include the explosive history of champagne; the art of lounging on a divan; the emergence of frillies, the first lacy, racy lingerie; the ancient uses of sweet-smelling saffron; the wild riot incited by the appearance of London's first top hat; Julia Child's tip for cooking the perfect omelet; the polarizing practice of wearing red lipstick during World War II; Louis XIV's fondness for the luscious Bartlett pear; the Indian origin of badminton; Parliament's 1650 attempt to suppress Europe's beauty mark fad; the evolution of the Japanese kimo; the pil-grimage of Central Park's Egyptian obelisk; and the fanciful thrill of dining alfresco. Cleverly illustrated, Encyclopedia of the Exquisite is an ode to life's plenty, from the extravagant to the eccentric. It is a cele-bration of luxury that doesn't necessarily require money.
- Author BiographyJESSICA KERWIN JENKINS was formerly the European editor of W and a senior editor at Women's Wear Daily. She currently writes for Vogue. She lives in Maine.
- Author(s)Jessica Kerwin Jenkins
- PublisherNan A Talese
- Date of Publication15/12/2010
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNan A Talese
- Content NoteLine Drawings throughout
- Weight567 g
- Width159 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $27.31
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.21
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $7.80Trending at AU $8.37
- AU $9.82Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.49
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $31.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.