All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Book Two of the third volume of his magisterial Stalingrad Trilogy , David Glantz continues and concludes his definitive history. Book Two finds the Red Army's counteroffensive, Operation Uranus, well underway. Drawing on materials previously unavailable or believed lost, Glantz gives a closely observed account of the final ten weeks of Germany's ill-fated Stalingrad campaign. In short order, the Red Army parried and then defeated two German attempts to rescue the Sixth Army, crushed the Italian Eighth and Hungarian Second Armies, severely damaged the German Fourth Panzer and Second Armies and finally destroyed the German Sixth Army in the ruins of Stalingrad. With well over half-a-million soldiers torn from its order of battle, Hitler's Axis could only watch in horror as its status abruptly changed from victor to vanquished. This book completes a vivid and detailed picture of the Axis defeat that would prove decisive. This concluding chapter, relating events even more steeped in myth than those that came before, is especially bracing as it takes on controversial questions about why Operation Uranus succeeded and the German relief attempts failed, whether the Sixth Army could have escaped encirclement or been rescued, and who, finally was most responsible for its ultimate defeat. The answers Glantz provides, embedded in a fully-realised account of the endgame at Stalingrad, make this book the last word on one of history's epic clashes.
- Author BiographyDavid M. Glantz and Jonathan M. House have collaborated on all three volumes of the Stalingrad Trilogy , as well as on the books When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler and The Battle of Kursk . A retired U.S. Army colonel fluent in Russian, Glantz is the author of numerous books, including The Battle for Leningrad, 1941-1944 ; Colossus Reborn: The Red Army at War , and Red Storm over the Balkans: The Failed Soviet Invasion of Romania . House is the author of Combined Arms Warfare in the Twentieth Century .
- Author(s)Colonel David M. Glantz,Jonathan M. House
- PublisherUniversity Press of Kansas
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleModern War Studies
- Place of PublicationKansas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Kansas
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, maps
- Weight1302 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine58 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.